Saturday, February 16, 2013

Observation of Tourists as a Tourist

Disclaimer: If you are my sister, I apologize for not updating for a decent amount of time. A college student writing about how classes went during the school week isn't exactly riveting stuff. On that note, I have a brief observation to share.

As I was walking along Strøget today I came to the realization that in Copenhagen I, an American, am less a tourist than many of the born and bred Danes that live far outside the city and are only visiting for the weekend. I see Danes spinning their maps around, trying to figure out how to get to Nyhavn from Frue Plads and asking other people for directions. Even though my Danish is still at a remedial level, I could tell a lost Dane where to find Christiansborg Slot, no problem (in English). I'm not trying to boast or anything. If a Dane were studying in NYC for the semester I'd consider him less of a tourist than me there if I visited for the weekend with my camera and map. I just felt proud at that moment in time, looking around at the confused or lost people, knowing exactly where I was and how to get where I needed to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment