Tuesday, January 22, 2013

It's been that long already?!

It's now Tuesday and I've been here in Denmark for ten days tomorrow. I am already pretty adjusted to my daily life here and have settled into a nice routine. I've been working on my Danish, both in class and with my host family. What I've struggled with pronouncing most are consonants followed by 'r' sounds such as in Frederik, Christian, Frue, kronet, tre, etc. It's so tempting to pronounce a hard 'r' in all those words when it's really more of a throat clearing sound.

Life here is much different than my daily routine in Vermont. I wake up very early like most Danes and take the train into the city for class. On Tuesdays and Fridays this means leaving the house around 6:55 to catch the 7:10 train to Hillerød and then I hop on the E line of the S-Tog to Vesterport Station. My class at 8:30 is a short walk from that train station. This is much different than last semester where on Mondays and Wednesdays I could sleep as long as I wanted before my 3:15 class, my only class of the day. Unlike at school where I tend to waste time between and after classes, the commute has been a great tool to get work done so that I can relax and do fun things when I get home. It's taken some getting used to but having someone to ride the train with most days makes the ride go by fast if I don't have any work to do. 

Tomorrow is my first Wednesday off to do as I please. Classes don't meet on Wednesdays here so I plan to take advantage of this time tomorrow to be a true tourist. I'll post some pictures of my sight seeing soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment